18 Feb 2019

Part 9 - Painting The Heros

Over the weekend I spent some time on the Falcon and painted our famous heros. All figures are part of the Falcon3D Complete Cockpit Replacement Kit.

I didn't do any priming on them, but soaked them in dish soap for some time to get rid of some oily remains from 3D printing and used undiluted paint color.

I drilled small holes into their "sitting area" and put toothpicks into the holes, which made it a lot easier to hold them during applying paint colors.

I am quite happy with the way they turned out and here's some pictures and the Tamiya colors I used.

C3PO

  • Body: Gold X12
  • Right leg: Chrome Silver X11
  • Body center: Flat Black XF1
  • Eyes: Flat Yellow XF3

Chewie

  • Body: Flat Yellow XF3 over Flat Black XF1 over Red Brown XF64, mixed with some Vallejo Light Rust Wash
  • Eyes and Nose: Flat Black XF1
  • Belt: Chrome Silver X11
To get a more realistic look of the fur, I painted in layers and didn't leave it dry completely but continued to overpaint the next layer while still a little wet. I repeated that process until I liked how it looked. The final layer of Desert Yellow XF59 was thinned with some water.

Han

  • Boots, Pants, Jacket: Flat Black XF1
  • Belt: Red Brown XF64 with some Vallejo Light Rust Wash
  • Shirt: Flat White XF2 with some Flat Yellow XF3
  • Face and Hands: Flat Flesh XF15
  • Hair: Red Brown XF64 with some Flat Black XF1
Originally I planned to paint the eyes with some Flat Black XF1, but as the face contours are very detailed on the 3D prints, I found the natural shadow to be sufficient.

Ben

  • Body clothes and Boots: Red Brown XF64
  • Cape: Flat White XF2
  • Face and Hands: Flat Flesh XF15
  • Hair: Medium Grey XF20
The original 3D printed figure is a mid grey color. I decided to let this shine though the Flat White of the cape a little to give it a more defined, natural look.

Leia

  • Clothes: Flat White XF2
  • Belt: Medium Grey XF20
  • Face and Hands: Flat Flesh XF15
  • Hair: Flat Black XF1
As with Ben, I decided to let the base grey of the 3D printed figure shine though the Flat White of the dress a little to give it a more defined, natural look.

Luke

  • Clothes: Flat White XF2
  • Face and Hands: Flat Flesh XF15
  • Hair: Red Brown XF64 with some Vallejo Light Rust Wash 
  • Boots: Red Brown XF64 with lots of Vallejo Light Rust Wash
As with Ben and Leia, I decided to let the base grey of the 3D printed figure shine though the Flat White of the clothes a little to give it a more defined, natural look. and I didn't paint the eyes.


Stay tuned for more details on building the cockpit...

No comments:

Post a Comment